Bhagwad Gita is one of the holy prides for Hinduism since ages and it still continues to be so. But the overshadowing of science and technology has developed some misconceptions and illusions about Bhagwad Gita and its concepts. Countries like Russia have decided to ban this book and claims that it is an extremist. The reason may be that they are not able to understand the language and the concept properly. May be that they believe that it is too exaggerated for a common man to understand.
Listed below is some of the misconception about Bhagwad Gita:
- Its blunt judgment- According to some people the Geeta Saar includes some blunt judgments. Mnay say that it has been very judgmental with the use of words like mudha-fool, naradhama-to be considered lowest among the human being. People have taken it as the words used for comparison. These words are not meant for mock in reality.
- Gita is meant only for intellectual- Irrespective of the IQ level of a person Bhagwad Gita can be read and followed by any individual, but many of them misinterpret it. Some people have too much ego and they do not accept the reality shown and said in Gita. It is just a simple message of love and harmony.
- Central message of Gita is not clear- Bhagwad Gita comes up with a concept which may at times be quite confusing and contradictory to the reality. Like when we give our introduction to somebody we mention our profession as well but according to Gita that is not the right way of introduction. These are just individual attributes.
- It has little applicability in recent days- According to those people who believe in science and technology say that is not applicable in recent days. Especially the teenagers believe that it hold no value as it was introduces ages back and it is not relevant in recent days. They believe that Bhagwad Gita is just a story from the past. People in present days have become very much materialistic and they do not believe in the ethics of Gita but only the universal truth remains the same.
- It shows fight against irreligious people- After reading Bhawad Gita many people conclude that in it Lord Krishna had promoted Arjuna to instinct violence against the irreligious people of the world and they were considered to be the enemy of the mankind. People with different faith have questioned this several times but could not get satisfactory conclusion. People say that had Lord Krishana been so good he should have not instinct for the war but these people should also realize that the same Bhagwad Gita have also inspired Mahatma Gandhi for non- violence. So we can conclude that it is up to an individual how they take the teachings of Bhagwad Gita.
- It is caste conscious- Chapter 18 in Bhagwad Gita says that Lord Krishna was the advocate of the caste system in Hinduism. When he says that he is a Kshtriya and he is from the warrior class it directly shows the consciousness of the caste system. It divided people in four casts, Brahman, Vysya, Khstriya and Sudra. They say that caste is divided according to the role we play in the society.
There are some more categories of people who believe that Bhagwad Gita Sholaka is irrelevant in the century.